Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Out of the mold


Last Sunday, June 13th, 2010 we celebrated my sister in law Kim's birthday. She had requested a strawberry and cream jello mold. It is great because right now in Oregon the strawberry season is in full force. So, I decided to take a recipe that I already had and modify it to fit her request. I have a recipe from when I lived in Mexico that is very good. In Mexico for birthdays and other celebrations families often have cake and to go along with it a very fancy, large jello mold instead of ice cream. I learned how to make a mold that had layers of sherry jello and cream jello. I took this idea and created a strawberries and cream jello mold which is pictured above. I ended up freezing it and the bottom layer was like a light ice cream which was delightful and delicious!

Here is the recipe and my notes:

Strawberries and Cream Jello Mold:

Makes: 1 large jello mold to serve 6-8 people

1 large package strawberry gelatin
2 cups sliced fresh strawberries

1 quart half and half or heavy cream
1 cup sugar
1/2 vanilla bean
1 cinnamon stick
2 packets of unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup water
2 egg yolks

1 angel food ring pan

Directions:

1. Make the strawberry gelatin according to the quick set directions on the package. Pour the gelatin into the mold. Then, when it is partially set add in the sliced strawberries. Freeze the mold while you are making the cream portion of the gelatin.

2. In a 5 quart soup pot or saucepan put the half and half or heavy cream, 1/2 vanilla bean, cinnamon stick and sugar and mix together. Boil this mixture. While the mixture is heating up to boil, mix a 1/2 cup water with the 2 packets of gelatin and let set. Meanwhile, mix the egg yolks in a bowl.

3. When the cream mixture has boiled, take out 1 cup of the mixture and mix it with the egg yolks. This will temper them. Then, using a strainer, strain them into the rest of the cream mixture and mix together.


3. While the cream mixture is still quite warm, pour it on top of the strawberry mixture in the mold. Freeze it. It is best made 1 day ahead of serving.

Enjoy!


I think next time I will use heavy cream and maybe add 3-4 egg yolks to the cream mixture to make it rich like ice cream. As is, it was very good though.

Kudos to my brother Stuart for the photos and Happy Birthday to Kim!

No comments: