Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Farmer's Market Meal!



Yesterday I decided to make a new dish out of some of the lovely foods that I picked up at the Oregon City Farmer's Market last weekend. I had picked up a pork shoulder roast from Hansen Family Farms as well as sugar snap peas and spinach from Gardenripe among other things. Also, I had made some sourdough bread over the weekend. So, I thought I'd make a Cuban pork sandwich.

I combined two recipes & two cooking methods to come up with a delicious combination. I used a dry rub and then combined with a braising method to create the yummy pork for the sandwich.

Below is the recipe and my notes along with some more photos of the process:

Pork Shoulder Roast- Cuban Style:

Ingredients:

1 pork shoulder roast- 3+ pounds

Salt & Olive Oil Rub:

1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons oregano
1-2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
2-3 tablespoons olive oil

15-20 cloves garlic- finely chopped
1 medium onion- chopped

1/3 cup lime juice
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 1/3 cups orange juice

Combine the ingredients for the salt rub and rub it over the meat. Let the meat rest, covered in the refrigerator overnight.



Preheat the oven to 375 F.

Take the roast out of the refrigerator. Place the garlic and onion along with some olive oil in the bottom of a dutch oven. Put the roast on top of the garlic and onion mixture. Mix the lime, lemon and orange juices and pour them around the roast. It should come up around a quarter of the roast. You will have some left over.

Roast the meat for one hour and fifteen minutes on one side. Flip the roast over and roast for another 30 minutes. Check the level of the liquid. If it starts to get low, replace it with more of the juice mixture. After 30 minutes flip the roast one more time (at this point check for doneness) and if needed roast for about another 30 minutes. If your roast is larger it may need more time to cook.

I refrigerated my roast after this because I was saving it for dinner that evening. It was nice because all of the fat congealed and it was easy to extract the sauce from the pan.


After the roast is done let it cool a bit before slicing. Get the onion, garlic & juice mixture out of the pan and reduce it in a small frying pan for a few minutes over medium heat. Then, slice the meat into thin slices for the sandwiches. Place meat on one side of the bread and then ladle some of the sauce on top. On the other side of the bread I put some spinach, but you may dress your sandwich as you wish.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! I am so impressed with what you are doing and was overwhelmed with the amount and types of food saved last year from canning, freezing, etc. I hope the weather improves for you but it is sooo nice seeing the native plants and trees. Something I haven't seen for quite awhile and so lushly green too. Echo

Trista said...

Thanks Aunt Echo, we appreciate it! We hope to do well with our garden this year and be able to preserve a lot more still! :)

The native plants are nice to see, a product of all of the rain. I do hope for a bit more sun this week though!

Trista