Sunday, June 13, 2010

A New Direction in Bread




The other day my Mom gave me a handout she had found online about breads from around the world. I thought I'd look up some of them and see if they were worth trying to make. One of the ones that intrigued me was the Brown Billy Loaf. This is an Australian quick bread. It is kind of like an Irish soda bread baked in a loaf pan. I found a couple of old recipes for it on this site called Old Aussie Recipes.


I did not find a lot of information about it other than two or three recipes and an explanation as to what a "Billy Can" was. From what I was able to learn this bread was originally made in a "billy" or can that was used to brew tea over a campfire. I learned more information about this from the Wikipedia page on it.

Some of the original recipes were quite plain and even the modern one I found I thought could use some sprucing up, so as outlined below I came up with my own recipe for this bread and it was very tasty! I think it was really moist because it was baked with foil on top to keep the moisture in the bread. It thought this was a great technique!


Brown Sugar and Maple Brown Billy Loaf:

Makes: 1 large loaf.

Ingredients:

2 cups all purpose unbleached flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
4 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons maple syrup
4 tablespoons boiling water
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

*Preheat the oven to 350F

1. Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.

2. Put the butter and maple syrup in a glass measuring cup. Then, pour the boiling water over it. Stir until the butter is melted. If it needs to melt more you can put it in the microwave for a few seconds.

3. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients. Then, add the buttermilk in batches, stirring after each addition. Stir just enough to combine.

4. Put the dough into a greased 9x5 loaf pan. Cover it with greased foil.

5. Bake at 350F for about 1 hour.

Slice, butter and enjoy! It also makes great toast!

No comments: