Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Soup's On!


Since the fall chill is now in the air it's officially soup season around here! Soup is such a warm, comforting food and this soup is one of my all time favorites- it has two of my favorite things..cooked tomatoes and peanut butter in it!

Yesterday I decided to make this soup and serve it over brown rice as I often do. I did serve some corn on the cob on the side- but really with the rice it's quite a complete meal all by itself!

I got this recipe from a family friend who loves to make soup too! I have changed the recipe a slight bit by adding more peanut butter and a bit more broth and chicken- but it is basically the same as the original.

Here it is and enjoy...

West African Chicken Peanut Soup-serves 6-8

2-3 cups cooked chicken- diced (I usually bake 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the oven and then use those)
1 medium onion- diced
2 garlic cloves-minced
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
4 cups chicken broth
1 small can tomato paste
1 15 ounce can stewed tomatoes
1/3 + cups of peanut butter

--6-8 servings of brown rice to serve soup over

1. In a large pot (I use a cast iron pot) heat the olive oil and saute the onions, garlic and chicken for about 10 minutes until the onion is tender. Add the curry powder, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and saute 1 minute more.

2. Add the chicken broth, tomato paste, stewed tomatoes and peanut butter, (add more peanut butter and taste the soup to make sure the seasonings are to your liking) stirring until well combined. Heat the soup until very hot but not boiling. Serve immediately or cool in the refrigerator and serve later.

Enjoy this fabulous soup!

1 comment:

Trista said...

I forgot to add that chunky peanut butter is best in this recipe although any peanut butter will do. I like to use all natural Adam's Peanut Butter. :)