Monday, July 18, 2011

Where did Summer Go?




Adam laughing from being tickled on the grass in our back yard. Despite the gray skies and lower temperatures we got outside to play!

In the last week our weather has not been very "summer-like." We have had a lot of rain and colder temperatures. This past Sunday it was barely 60 degrees and I had to wear a sweater and a rain jacket! I refused to put my boots on and decided to still wear my flip flops though! I want to at least acknowledge that it is supposed to be summer. It was nice to finally have more time to get outside today since it didn't rain and the weather was at least dry. It has been awfully dreary but we have hope that someday soon there will be enough sun for our tomatoes to grow!!


Some daylilies that are blooming in our back yard. I love their vibrant color!

Suburban Garden Report:

My plants in the garden have been growing very well. However, I know that they need more sun to really accelerate their growth. I think this is especially true for tomatoes and peppers as well as herbs such as basil. You can see in the pictures below that all of the plants are very lush and green but I would like some tomatoes to start forming!


Finally my gigantic tomato plants are starting to flower!



My one bell pepper plant is slowly getting bigger. It really needs more sun!


An apple on our dwarf apple tree. These apples are looking great and growing fast!


My lavender plant has put out several flowers and is looking pretty.

Well, at least the lettuce is thriving in the cooler weather! We've been enjoying lots of salads!

It was fun to teach Adam how to pick lettuce. Now every time we go out into the garden he picks a piece or two and eats it! It is a very healthy "salad to go!"


Adam eating some lettuce. He really enjoyed learning how to pick it!

At least the rain has been very kind to my growing side yard and the flowering plants are really growing and thriving there. Very soon the Black Eyed Susan daisies will be coming out! I can't wait! Here are some pictures of some of the lovely flowers in that area:

I really love the sunset color on this begonia in the side yard!



A bloom on a hardy fuchsia plant in my side yard that came back by surprise! It is so pretty!

Adam spotted a few ripe blueberries today which he promptly ate. I hope with a bit more sun there will be quite a few for him to nibble on. The bushes are looking very healthy and full of blueberries for their small size.

A blueberry that Adam found- there are a few that are ripe enough to eat now.

A sweet little surprise flower- this is a plant that is now starting to thrive from 2-3 years ago.

A while ago I read an article on container gardening. It suggested to group your pots in groups of 3-5 pots or more on your deck or patio area. Before I had my pots scattered too much and the flowers looked too sparse. The technique of grouping them really makes the flowers stand out and it gives a much "lush" effect. I am really liking the look now! I think it is great to read and learn new things every day!

A grouping of flower pots on our deck.


Finally, as Adam and I were wandering into the corner of our back yard I spotted these lovely foxglove plants! I just love the colors and they are so pretty! What a nice surprise!



A volunteer foxglove plant in our back corner.

Country Garden Report:

This week's country garden report is going to be a short one. Last week I was busy getting ready for a baby shower we threw on Saturday so I didn't have a chance to go to the country garden and visit. Also, we had been sick the past week when we visited the garden and so then my parents, brother and sister in law also got sick from the virus that we had! I do know that before she got sick my mom worked on picking and freezing as many wild cherries that she could off of a very large tree that my dad cut down. It was so full of such lovely, red cherries! They will surely be a treat to eat and to use in preserves, etc. Hopefully in a week or two I will have more news from my parent's garden.

Celebrating a Baby to Come:


A tiered tray of lemon cupcakes for the baby shower.

This past Saturday, July 16th we had a couples baby shower for some friends who are adopting a baby very soon. They are such a nice couple and we are so excited for them. I had a lot of fun decorating and coming up with a menu for the shower! It was a brunch theme and it was wonderful! Fun was had by all!

I made some breakfast casserole along with a green salad, tomato salad, fruit salad, scones and lemon cupcakes for dessert.

Following are the recipes for the shortbread cookies and the cream scones. Enjoy!



A platter of homemade cream scones- plain, chocolate chip and cranberry for the shower.

Cream Scones:

This is the scone recipe that we used for our farmer's market bakery booth "Farmer's Tea." They were a big hit at our booth for breakfast. Some of the flavors that we used to make were: hazelnut/chocolate chip, coconut, cranberry orange and blueberry among others.

Yields: 16 small scones

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
11 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whipping cream

1 cup mix in: dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, etc), chocolate chips, coconut, etc. (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly butter baking sheet or cover with a sheet of parchment paper.

2. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder together in a medium size bowl.

3. Cut in small chunks of butter with a fork or with a pastry blender. Blend until the mixture resembles coarse meal.

4. Make a well in the center of the mixture and add the cream. Stir just until moist. Add the "mix-in" ingredient if you are going to use one.

5. Transfer dough to a floured surface and gently knead until smooth, about 8 turns.

6. Divide dough in half. Transfer these to the prepared baking sheet and pat each portion into a 3/4 inch thick round. Cut each round into 8 wedges. Brush tops with remaining cream.

7. Bake scones until light brown 10-15 minutes.

These can be made ahead and freeze very well. Let them thaw on the counter overnight or a few hours before serving. Enjoy!


A teddy bear shortbread cookie that I made as favors for the baby shower.


Shortbread Cut Out Cookies:

This is one of my favorite cookie recipes. I love that the cookies turn out so professional looking and they are so delicious too! When I bake this the whole house smells like vanilla! Yum!


Yields: 17-18 large cookies or 24 small cookies

2 cups unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a separate bowl, whisk the flour with the salt. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer cream the butter (about 1 minute). Add the sugar and beat until smooth (about 2 minutes). Stir in the vanilla extract. Gently stir in the flour mixture until just incorporated. Flatten the dough into a disk shape, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill dough for at least 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 300 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

On a lightly floured surface roll out dough to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes. Place on the prepared baking sheet and refrigerate for 15 minutes. This will firm up the dough so the cookies will maintain their shape when baked.

Bake for 20 minutes.

You may frost, glaze or dip the cookies in chocolate and/or sprinkles to make them festive!


Enjoy this week!

No comments: