Monday, August 2, 2010

Peach Love




I love this time of year here in Oregon when the farmer's markets are filled with so many local fruits and vegetables it is hard to choose and hard not to overbuy because everything looks so fresh and delicious! It is because of the local peaches that are now in season that I wanted to make this peach pie. Also, I was on the search for the perfect, simple peach pie recipe and I think I have found it in the one that I adapted which I'll share below.

I have wanted to bake more with honey and so I decided to try a honey peach pie recipe that I adapted a bit. I got the original recipe from a baking book my Mom found for me called "The Harrowsmith Country Life Baking Book"- edited by Sandra J. Taylor. Here it is:

Peach Honey Pie:

Makes: One 10 inch pie

1 10 inch pie shell + decorative cut outs for the top


All Butter Pie Crust:

Pie Crust: Makes 2 large (10 inch) or 3 small (8 inch) single crust pies. ( I prefer my crust to be fairly thick and have a lot of room for crimping around the edge.)

5 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1 pound- 4 sticks cold butter cut into small pieces
1 cup ice water

Mix dry ingredients together in a food processor. Cut in butter until coarse crumbs appear. Pour in ice water slowly until combined. Make 2 large disks out of the dough & wrap in plastic. Refrigerate at least 1 hour. After 1 hour let dough set on counter for about 15 to 20 minutes until pliable.

May be frozen as dough or made into pie crusts & frozen.

After your pie shell and cut outs are made (I made little heart cut outs but you may use any shape you like) proceed with the pie filling:

Pie Filling:

3 pounds peaches- peeled and sliced
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons tapioca flour
1/4 cup honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg


Melt the butter in a large frying or saute pan. Add the sliced peaches and saute for about 10 minutes. Then, pour this mixture into a large bowl and add the tapioca flour, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir to mix well. Pour into pie shell. Top with decorative cut outs. Sprinkle the cut outs with sugar.

Bake in a 450F oven for 10 minutes. Then, reduce the heat to 375F and continue to bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the crust is light brown.

Enjoy! Below is a close up photo of the cut out and the lovely peach filling:

No comments: