Friday, May 28, 2010

April Showers Bring May Showers




As you could see if you checked out the April NOAA precipitation and temperature information from a couple of our blogs past, our Pacific Northwest region was cooler and wetter than normal. If the past week – and upcoming week’s forecast – is any guide, May will not be far behind.


Although it is definitely soggy outside, the green beauty and lush native landscape of our area is on full display. The wild flags are in bloom now, and the native dogwoods have just finished. False Solomon’s Seal has spread throughout the woodland behind the house, along with wild ginger. Snowberry and wild roses are setting buds. Sword ferns have unfurled their new fronds, and the combinations of native trees, bushes, and flowers along the pathways look as if an artist combined them there. The tree frogs that abound have stopped their mating chorus, and the spring-fed pond below our house is full of their eggs.



Newts (like the one pictured above) have been sighted around the house too; and likely have their egg cases mixed in with frog eggs in the pond. And, our chamomile- pictured above-is blooming nicely and ready for harvest to make tea! Spring, even with its more than usually wild and wet weather, is definitely here!


Spring is in the garden, too. In the garden, we see bunches of microscopic grapes, and the raspberries are setting. Our boysenberries are just beginning to bloom, too.

For further seed planting, though, we will wait. We have heard tales of over-eager gardeners in our area planting and then replanting, as their first seeds rotted in the ground from all the rainfall. It’s not a problem for the plants we set out earlier –the damp and cool weather seems to suit them. So, the brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, and broccoli are just fine, as are the onions. The peas have not yet bloomed, but are growing nicely.

It’s okay, though, as our growing season is long enough to accommodate a later planting. We often don’t plant anything until mid-June, but still have a good and plentiful harvest. This year we thought we’d try to get several plantings in for several of the vegetables, but if the rain doesn’t permit, it doesn’t. Spring weather can be iffy in the northwest.


Progress of a Weaving Sort



Since our weather has made it difficult to garden, I (Serena) decided to work on a weaving project I have had in mind for some time now. I had some white silk thread given to me by a weaving friend, Hilda Minnickel, several years ago. Hilda wasn’t interested in using the silk herself, but picked it up at a garage sale for a dollar, thinking that I might like it. The silk is very fine, and has frequent slubs and uneven lengths in it which should give character to a simple weave structure. The color is a creamy white, with the sheen characteristic of silk. At the time Hilda gave it to me, I couldn’t think of how I could use it, although I knew I would some day. Since successfully completing a hand-woven upholstery project recently, I realized the silk would be perfect for some rather formal seating I have from my husband’s family. The loveseat has a carved wooden back and curved arms with an upholstered seat. The slipper chair is small with slender legs. It has an upholstered back, and its upholstered seat ends in a pleated ruffle. I would like to use this furniture together in a guest bedroom. These pieces should be worth the time and trouble to make the fabric and upholster since they are antiques, thus more looked at than used; so the work should last.



Although the silk is fine, the upholstery projects are small; so I think I can manage to weave enough. I am going to make a warp of dark red silk stripes in a creamy white background, with creamy white silk weft. A simple satin weave should show off the character and sheen of the threads.



The first task was to wind the eight skeins of fine white silk onto spools. The person who sold them at the garage sale had tried to wind off the silk into balls, but as the three small balls attest, it was tough going. The spools work much better. Even so, it took several hours to wind the silk, spread over several days. The red silk is already wound on a cone, so no preparation was necessary for that. Now it is time to make the warp.

Because of summer activities, the project will go slowly, but there’s no rush. I’ll let you know how it goes.


Quick Suburban Garden Report:



As you can see my (Trista's) strawberries have grown tremendously! There are many berries formed on the plants, all we need is a little sunshine to ripen them but it has been in short supply lately!


Both of my rhubarb plants have been growing very well with all of the rain as well. I hope to harvest a bit of rhubarb combined with rhubarb I get from the farmer's market this weekend in order to make some pies next week. I'll post about that later!


Last but not least, my mint that I have planted in a pot is going crazy! I have two varieties in this pot pictured above as well as some "volunteer mint" in another corner of the garden. I'll have to dream up a tasty recipe for this sometime as well!


Have a great week!



No comments: